Thursday, October 8, 2015

Blink

"Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck."

Some of you may recognize this quote from a popular BBC TV series, Doctor Who.
(Season 3, Episode 10) 

In this episode the Doctor is fighting the weeping angels who are statues that can only move and attach when they're not being looked at. 













Its absolutely terrifying! If you want to watch the episode, Doctor Who is on Netflix, and the info for the specific episode is HERE!

Now for the deep stuff. When thinking about what I should write for this post, I found myself with writer's block. Should I analyze another piece of art? nah. But I looked at war art anyway, and for some reason Dr. Who popped up on my google web search. (oh internet, how you never fail to creep) 
And bam! I realized that in almost every episode the Doctor is at war with someone, something, or even himself. His fast paced life is always filled with complications and he always must fight. Then I thought about some of his most difficult enemies, and definitely the weeping angels have been such a hassle for him. 

But the quote that I started this post with, that quote that every Who fan knows, is what really moved me to write about this. To combat the weeping angels one must face their fears, literally, look them in the eye. 


"Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck."

Now, remove the image of crazy statues chasing you. Think of a soldier walking towards the trenches. Shrapnel fighting...comrades left and right dying..and the enemy straight ahead. 
A soldier has to keep his head up high look forward and continue fighting. Like the quote says "don't turn your back", the soldier must not run and hide leaving his comrades, his country, his hope. 

This is the imagery I see when I think of this quote. I think of an army general grabbing a young new soldier and holding him by the shoulders, yelling these words over the blasting of shots, the screams of men, and the stench of war. 

In all honestly, writing this post and thinking about how strong a few sentences can be, how words can create such images in one's mind is truly beautiful and that is why I shared this moment today. 

Don't blink but see beyond. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I really enjoyed how you started the blog with a brief introduction and video to summarize The Iliad. As for your writing I really enjoyed the connections and direct quotes that you made. As a reader that make your ideas more clear. Although you had a lot of evidence, I still wanted more so I think if you elaborated your ideas the blog would be more clear! Overall well done!!!

    -Destiny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    I really like your "voice" at the beginning of your post, it gave a relaxed feel to your post! I also liked how you really analyzed the article that you read and didn't just restate the article's point but shared your opinion/analysis. Although I think would've been cool to hear more about your opinion, like Destiny suggested above, to "elaborate" a little more! Anyways, I great job on the analysis and post in general! :)

    -lesley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love your intro to the blog, especially the two definitions of epic, and the video (which I also turned to at the beginning of this class to better understand the Iliad). It's absolutely hilarious and gives good context for the rest of the blog.Your analysis of Higgins' article is very thorough and the summary is clear and concise so I didn't get lost reading it. Awesome job!

    - Ingrid :3

    ReplyDelete