Friday, October 2, 2015

An Abstract of Sorts

                Olive Cugurovic Art Abstract art Modern Age Abstract War Art

                 http://en.artoffer.com/Oliv-Cugurovic/Der-Krieg-War-Abstract-art/119076

"Der Kreig" is an abstract piece by Oliv Curgurovic. The words "Der Kreig" are German for "The War" This piece, created in 2009, is an abstract acrylic canvas painting. If you do not know what abstract art is, never fear! I have a helpful video here: LINK!

This piece of art, in my opinion, signifies the inner mind and emotional turmoil during war and maybe even during battle. The first thing I felt when I saw this picture was a feeling of frustration. It just looks confusing and has no straight point. The strokes are very rugged and mixed everywhere causing it to have no pattern or print. Initially the whole artwork made no sense, but since I liked the color pallet so I kept examining it. In doing this, I noticed more and more details that made me grow to understand the painting in my own way.

Since the color pallet is what really attracted me to this piece, I'd like to discuss why it is so alluring. The brightest color of the entire artwork is a light gray leading all the way down to a charcoal black. This fading and irregular scheme between the two and the lack of any other colors gives it a sense of opposition, light vs darkness. It almost seems like the two colors are "war-ing" to be the prominent role in the piece. In reference to the topic of war, my opinion is that war is a dark matter, something with an internal force of darkness naturally within it. On the other hand, I see light as life, bright and prosperous, shining as one experiences all and feels alive. The piece of artwork in my perspective, seems like that black color is almost coming back into the picture, slowly and gradually consuming the light.

The second most important aspect I found interesting was the rugged strokes and the lack of pattern. Initially, this caused me to negatively view the piece as a mess and confusing creation. Realizing that this is abstract art I then thought maybe this is the point of the piece, the confusion. It makes the viewer feel like they're lost in a maze. Which I then connected to a soldier in the midst of war filled with conflict and confusion inside, but it can also connected to the sights of battle where the vision is impaired by the clashing of people and the shrapnel. This is the view I conceive in my mind while looking at this piece of art and I feel that this is a very strong moment to feel when thinking about war.

Overall I feel like this piece shows the viewer a sense of the feelings of someone directly influenced by a war or even just the feelings of war itself. One cannot exactly know what the artist meant for it to be, but this is my interpretation of the piece.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there!

    First of all I just want to say that I loved the painting, it's beautiful! I really liked that you used an abstract painting. I thought the way you correlated your interpretation to the colors and patterns of the painting in relation to war was very creative and interesting. I enjoyed reading!

    -Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely in love with everything you had to say about this painting and the connections to war. I think its interesting you chose an abstract piece because as an artist (dancer) these pieces tend to be harder to interpret. I really agree with the colors and their significance to war. The dark colors relate to a dark confused battle field. Amazing work!

    -Destiny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I have a hard time understanding abstract art, but your commentary helped me understand this piece so much better. I really like how you went in detail to even the colors, something I would have overlooked. I definitely admire you for choosing abstract art as your subject, something that is hard to interpret and work with. Looking forward to your next blog!

    ReplyDelete